This Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage is the perfect hearty meal to serve on St. Patrick’s Day or any day you’re craving some warm comfort food! This recipe is gluten-free and easy to prepare!!
I love using my Instant Pot to easily make meals that I would otherwise spend time slaving over the stove to make. The Instant Pot not only delivers tender, fall apart meat, but it also takes away the time spent babysitting the dish in the oven or on the stove. I have shared lots of my popular Instant Pot Recipes here and this recipe is the perfect addition for St. Patrick’s Day! You can make everything from beef barbacoa tacos to BBQ pork chops in your Instant Pot!
How To Make Corned Beef and Cabbage
The Instant Pot makes this Irish meal easy! Be sure to set aside enough time for this recipe as the cook time is a little longer on this one and you’ll need about 2 hours from start to finish to make this corned beef and cabbage. The end result is so delicious!!
Corned beef and cabbage is made with a corned beef brisket cooked along with onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. For this recipe, we will cook the brisket first and then cook the potatoes, carrots and cabbage at the end so we don’t overcook them and end up with mushy vegetables! It only takes 3 minutes cook time at the end though so it is super easy and fast to cook them!
We start by dicing onions and garlic and adding them to the Instant Pot along with some bay leaves.
Many traditional corned beef recipes utilize dark beer as the cooking liquid. However, this gluten-free version relies on chicken or beef broth instead. I recommend using a quality bone broth for the best flavor and nutrition content.
You’ll want to place the corned beef brisket fat side down on the trivet in the Instant Pot. Then season with spice back, sea salt and black pepper to your liking.
While the beef brisket is cooking you can slice your carrots, cabbage and potatoes. We will be cooking these at the end.
Once the beef brisket is cooked, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. If you skip this and do a quick release your meat will be dry! Remove beef brisket using the trivet (and pot holders – it will be hot!). Set aside and keep warm. Put carrots, potatoes and cabbage in Instant Pot and cook for 3 minutes.
Print Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Instant Pot
- 6 large cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 small or 1 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth preferably organic
- 1 cup water
- 2½ - 4 pound corned beef brisket with spice pack
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 large carrots cut into strips
- 1 lbs. red potatoes quartered
- ½ large cabbage head sliced
- Add garlic, onion, and bay leaves to Instant Pot® container and pour the broth and water on top. Place the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot® inside the container with the handles positioned up for easy removal.
- Place the brisket fat-side down on the trivet and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice packet that came with the brisket on top.
- Add the lid and lock into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” button. Adjust to the “High” setting and set the cook time to 85 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure. Remove brisket by carefully lifting the trivet out by the handles (using potholders) and transfer to a platter. Set aside and keep warm.
- Return the trivet to the Instant Pot® and add the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage on top. Cover and lock lid into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” button. Adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on the remaining pressure.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the serving platter with the corned beef. Slice the beef against the grain and serve immediately along with the vegetables. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to rinse the corned beef brisket before cooking?
No, you don’t have to rinse it. You can opt to rinse it to remove some salt and you will get a more mild flavor but it is not required to rinse it before cooking.
How do you know when corn beef is done cooking?
Corned beef is made with a less tender cut of meat so longer cooking will produce more tender meat, however, corned beef is safe to eat once the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
What do you serve with corned beef and cabbage?
I love this recipe because it makes a whole meal with the potatoes and carrots and you don’t need to serve anything else with it! If you desire you can serve a salad or another Irish favorite food with it! Maybe an Irish soda bread!!
What condiment goes with corned beef?
Mustard is the perfect condiment to go with corned beef! Choose a gourmet, quality mustard over the traditional yellow squirt bottle fare!
Pin Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
We love when you pin our recipes! It helps us spread them farther and helps you find them easier later. Thank you for pinning!
You May Also Like…