Over the years my saran wrap ball game has been very popular, especially around the holidays. We have gotten tons of reader comments sharing their variations to the popular saran wrap ball game. I have compiled them all here so you can switch it up and grab an idea that you like best! No matter how you play it, you’re sure to have fun!
Saran Wrap Ball Game
The saran wrap ball game is a fun game comprised of prizes wrapped inside a ball of saran wrap. The goal is to uncover as many prizes as you can during your turn. The prizes you unwrap, you get to keep! There are many different ways to play this game.
To get started read the full saran wrap ball game post here. Create your saran wrap ball with the prizes inside. Then proceed to the rules below and pick which version you like best!
Original Saran Wrap Ball Game Rules
- To play the saran wrap ball game you’ll need your completed saran wrap ball, a pair of dice and a pie plate or bowl. Begin by sitting everyone in a circle and giving one person the saran wrap ball and the person to their left the bowl/pie plate and dice.
- To play you must keep the ball on your lap at all times and unwrap it as fast as you can while the person to your left keeps rolling the dice until they get doubles. Once they roll doubles the dice will pass to the person on their left and the saran wrap ball will pass to the dice roller. Once the person to their left rolls doubles the ball gets passed again.
- Keep unwrapping the saran wrap ball as fast as possible the entire time the person is rolling, until they roll doubles. You get to keep any prizes you unwrap. The ball must stay on their lap as we discovered that without this rule someone can easily set it on the floor and unroll it in no time.
Saran Wrap Ball Game Variations
Here are some of the many variations of the saran wrap ball game rules that our readers have shared with us! Pick one that you like best or mix it up each year you play. These are all fun ideas for the saran wrap ball game.
- Instead of rolling dice, use music instead! Configure your game like hot potato or musical chairs and the person that has the ball when the music stops gets a turn to unwrap a prize.
- Buy larger prizes that don’t fit in the ball and instead of wrapping those prizes, number them and include a slip of paper with the number on it inside the ball. When the person unwraps the paper with the number on it they will get the corresponding prize.
- Add some slips of paper into the ball that say things like “steal”, “reverse the game”, or “skip two people” to mix up the play. If you get a steal card then you can steal a prize that someone has already uncovered and won. If it says to reverse the game then the ball will go back the opposite direction, etc.
- Instead of using one continuous piece of saran wrap, use pieces to make it more difficult. This works best if older kids or adults are playing.
- When playing with adults, make the player that is unrolling the saran wrap ball wear oven mitts or knit gloves to make it more difficult and fun.
- Try alternating between saran wrap and press ‘n seal to make unrolling the ball more difficult.
- Add slips of paper with things like “you do the dishes”, “you clean up the game”, “stop and hop on one foot for 5 seconds”, etc to make things more interesting and fun!
- Make a rule that the saran wrap ball can’t touch your lap or the ground so it has to be held in the air the entire time!
- Add things like paper confetti, tinsel or packing peanuts to the saran wrap ball.
- Add a rule that the person unwrapping the saran wrap ball must put on a Santa hat and elf slippers before starting to unwrap.
- Add items that must be worn during the game inside of the saran wrap ball. Add things like funny glasses, fake mustaches, stick on tattoos, etc and when they are unwrapped the person must immediately wear them before continuing to unwrap the saran wrap ball.
- Wrap a smaller saran wrap ball inside of the main saran wrap ball. When it is uncovered the player must choose which ball they will continue with, the small one or the large one, and the other ball will be passed in the opposite direction. Have a spare set of dice wrapped with the smaller ball so they fall out at the same time. That ball will then be in play as well.
- Use a hair dryer on the saran wrap ball when you finish making it. This will make it harder to find the first edge!
Can Saran Wrap Be Recycled?
Once your saran wrap game is finished, gather up the saran wrap and set it aside. Saran wrap can be recycled! Most grocers and large retailers such as Target and Walmart now accept plastic bags, wrap and film for recycling. Look for a bin near the front of the store. To find a list of participating locations near you, go to plasticfilmrecycling.org and enter your zip code.
So what happens to it? Most of the recycled plastic film ends up being made into composite decking! So it may just find it’s way back to your home in the form of composite wood.
Pin Saran Wrap Ball Game Variations