It is cold outside and there is nothing better when it is cold out and cold season is in full swing than a great bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup! I have been doing a ton of freezer cooking before baby arrives and I used my slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe to make up a big batch of homemade soup and freeze it for eating later. You can check out all my freezer meal recipes if you are looking for yummy freezer meals that don’t include things like hamburger hot dish (yuck!). Now on to the super easy and delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. Throw this all in the crock pot in the morning and by dinner you will be enjoying the delicious soup that simmered all day and filled your home with yummy smells!
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe ~ Freezes Well Too!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, raw
- 5 medium carrots peeled & chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Cups Chicken broth or 3 15 oz cans
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 2 Bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups noodles or 1 bag homemade noodles
- 3.5 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Place chicken breasts (raw and whole), carrots, onions, celery and garlic into slow cooker.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth, water, thyme, celery salt, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and dice while warm.
- Add noodles and parsley to slow cooker and turn up to high heat.
- Cook until noodles are al dente (especially important to undercook them if you are freezing the soup for eating later so they don't end up mushy when you reheat it) about ten minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and add chopped chicken back to slow cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If freezing: allow to cool and then transfer to gallon zip top freezer bags. Double bag and freeze flat.
- Thaw. Reheat on stove or in microwave until warm.
Like this post? Pin it, Share it, Tweet it! 🙂