I threw together this sausage tortellini soup in under 30 minutes. It was a big hit! I used pesto tortellini for an added flavor boost and the chicken andouille sausage took it to the next level.
Every once in awhile I crave a really good, hearty soup that hits the spot when I’m craving comfort food. This soup is it! It’s right up there with my lasagna soup recipe which is my absolute favorite soup recipe! Serve it with my spinach and artichoke pull-apart bread for a great pairing!
Sausage Tortellini Soup
Sausage Tortellini soup is one of those hearty soups that just hits the spot. I mixed up the traditional recipe by making it with chicken andouille sausage and pesto stuffed tortellini (I found them at Trader Joe’s). You can make this recipe the same way or feel free to use ground sausage or a different variety of your favorite sausage. Use cheese tortellini or pesto tortellini. This soup is very forgiving!
You can even make this soup and freeze it! Just be sure to wait to add the tortellini until after you thaw it and cook it otherwise the noodles will get mushy.
I love the pesto stuffed tortellini from Trader Joe’s and that is what I used in this soup. You can use ANY type of tortellini though! I used dry tortellini so the cook time was about 10-15 minutes.
If you use fresh tortellini it will be closer to 5-6 minutes.
You can also use frozen tortellini.
Adjust the cooking time as needed by tasting the tortellini. Don’t overcook it.
If you let your soup sit for long the tortellini will start to absorb the broth. You can fix this by adding more broth to your bowl.
Alternatively, you can cook the tortellini separately and add them to each individual bowl so that the leftover soup won’t get mushy.
Either way works!
This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes which makes it the ideal weeknight meal or last-minute supper to throw together (that’s what I did!).
It is a really easy recipe to make and since I use carrot matchsticks there is minimal chopping and prep time!
Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 11 oz chicken Andouille sausage sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups chiciken broth preferably bone broth
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz pesto stuffed tortellini I used Trader Joe's pesto tortellini (dried) - you may use any variety of tortellini you prefer
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, combine diced sausage, onion and matchstick carrots. Cook until onions are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add Italian seasoning, minced garlic, sea salt, chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add in tortellini and cook 10 min or until soft. Don't overcook. Serve hot.