My Mother’s banana bread recipe was handed down to her by her Mother and it is not the usual dense banana bread. It has a completely different texture and is light and fluffy banana bread recipe as opposed to the more traditional dense and heavy variety. It’s almost a cake-like texture but with the amazing banana bread flavor. I love it!
Next time you have old bananas sitting around don’t just toss them! Turn them into banana bread. This recipe also freezes well so you can make a bunch and freeze them for later. To eat just take a loaf out the night before and leave it on the counter to thaw. It will be ready to eat by morning!
Print off this amazing light and fluffy banana bread recipe below. If you enjoy this recipe please share it on Facebook and pin it for later!
Light & Fluffy Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/3 C Shortening
- 3/4 C White Sugar
- 2 Sliced Bananas
- 1 Egg
- 2 C Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Cream together the shortening, sugar and bananas.
- Add egg and beat until well blended.
- Combine dry ingredients and gently stir them into shortening mixture alternately with liquid ingredients.
- Prepare your loaf pan (or mini loaf pans) with non-stick spray or shortening and then add your banana bread mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.