I kept seeing old fashioned saltine cracker toffee popping up on social media everywhere. Everyone was raving about it and I had never tasted it. It sounded similar to a homemade kit kat bar recipe I had tried (and loved) before so I figured I had to give it a try and see what all the fuss was about. After tasting it I understood why everyone was raving about it! It IS amazing and it’s really easy to make too so whip up a batch for Christmas and everyone will be begging you for the recipe!
To make this easy saltine cracker toffee you’ll simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then either cover a cookie sheet with foil or use a Silpat mat on your cookie sheet like I do (I LOVE them and use them for just about everything and nothing sticks to them!).
Bring butter, sugar and vanilla to a rolling boil for 3 minutes. Pour evenly over a layer of saltines and spread it to make it even. Then bake for 6 minutes or until bubbly. Then while the toffee is still hot pour chocolate chips evenly over the top. It will seem like they won’t melt but start spreading them around and they will! Spread to form an even layer. Then sprinkle with your choice topping! We like slivered almonds or mini M&M candies.
Then freeze for one hour and break apart into pieces. You can store it on the counter or in the fridge if your kitchen is warm.
Print off the recipe below! Be sure to also pin it and share it on Facebook for easy finding later!
Easy Old Fashioned Saltine Cracker Toffee Recipe
- About 40 Saltine crackers
- 1 Cup butter 2 sticks
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional toppings: slivered almonds crushed nuts, mini M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil or a Silpat baking mat.
- Place a single layer of Saltine crackers on the prepared cookie sheet. I place them salt side up but it doesn't really matter.
- Bring butter, sugar, and vanilla to a rolling boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour evenly over the layer of saltine crackers and gently spread it evenly over the crackers.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until bubbly.
- While toffee is still hot, pour chocolate chips over the top. They will begin to melt. Start spreading them until an even layer is formed. *They look like they won't melt but they do!
- Top with an optional toppings.
- Freeze for one hour.
- Break apart into small pieces.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge.