Several years ago there was a store in the Mall of America that sold flavored popcorn. It was my favorite and it has been gone from there for quite some time. I was looking to replicate that flavored popcorn that I loved and I finally found the perfect recipe. I made this yummy Kool-Aid flavored popcorn this weekend and served it with a Watermelon drink and it was gone in no time! The popcorn has a crunchy glaze on it that is flavored and absolutely delicious.
To make it you will need to pop 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels and measure out 12 cups of popped popcorn into a large mixing bowl or pan. I found that mixing the glaze with the popcorn in a mixing bowl worked much better than trying to mix it right in the pan.
Bring sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil for 3 minutes in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add Kool-Aid unsweetened drink mix and baking soda. Mix well. Pour glaze over popcorn in mixing bowl and mix well. Spread into ungreased non-stick pan.
You may also use a cookie sheet lined with a silpat mat. I found that this worked better for achieving a crisp glaze on the popcorn. Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool directly on Silpat mat or on wax paper.
Break apart and enjoy! Serve with a Kool-Aid watermelon drink for a refreshing snack!
I found the watermelon Kool-Aid in a handy premade jug in the juice aisle at Walmart. This is the perfect size to bring to the cabin this Summer to cool our thirst! Since it’s pre-made I don’t have to worry about bringing along sugar and bottled water to mix it up. It’s all ready to drink.
This is the perfect Summer snack! It’s sure to impress your guests and thanks to the myriad of Kool-Aid drink flavors, you can make just about any flavor popcorn you want! Print off the recipe below:
Kool-Aid Flavored Popcorn Recipe
- 12 Cups popped popcorn 1/3 Cup unpopped
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1 Envelope Unsweetened Kool-Aid drink mix any flavor
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Heat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Measure 12 cups popped popcorn into large mixing bowl.
- Mix together sugar, corn syrup and butter in medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat.
- Cook 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add Kool-Aid drink mix and baking soda.
- Mix well and pour over popcorn stirring to coat the popcorn.
- Spread popcorn in large baking dish (ungreased non-stick pan) or cookie sheet lined with Silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Bake 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread onto wax paper to cool or leave on silpat mat and cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store in zip top bag.
Find the new ready to drink Kool-Aid flavors at Walmart!
Like this recipe? Pin it, Share it, Tweet it!
What Kool-Aid flavor would you make your popcorn with?
*This #KoolOff post is part of a social shopper amplification through #CollectiveBias. The text, images and opinions are all my own.