Save yourself the chopping and toss onion, garlic, carrot matchsticks and celery in a food processor and pulse until chopped.
Then get two pots going on the stove. One for the soup and one to cook your gnocchi in. I love my Calphalon Contemporary cookware because I can toss it in the dishwasher when I’m done so clean up is a breeze too. In your large pot heat up the butter and oil over medium heat then add your chopped mixture from your food processor. Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor, you can chop it by hand. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper and cook for ten minutes or so until the veggies are soft. Stir often to keep from scorching.
Then you are going to add flour to your pot and stir it into your veggie mixture. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Next stir in the chicken broth and half and half a little at a time. Add the cooked chicken and bring your soup to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Now cook your gnocchi according to package directions. They only take 2-3 minutes to cook. Once they are floating they are done. Remove from water and place in a bowl. Add to the soup after the 20 minutes is done. Add spinach and continue cooking until spinach is wilted and then stir in basil. I serve with grated Parmesan just like Olive Garden! Don’t forget the breadsticks too!
Pin this Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe so you can easily find it later or print it off below!
Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 stalk of celery
- 4 cloves of garlic
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups cooked white meat chicken rotisserie or frozen/refrigerated white chicken works
- 16 oz potato gnocchi frozen, refrigerated or off the shelf
- 2 cups baby spinach stems removed
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese optional
- In a large pot heat the butter and olive oil on medium heat until butter is melted.
- Throw onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a food processor and pulse until chopped small. If you don't have a food processor then chop them.
- Add to pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook ten minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add flour into the pot and mix well with vegetables.
- Cook 3 minutes, stir frequently.
- Add chicken broth a cup at a time.
- Add half and half and stir well.
- Add cooked chicken. If using frozen chicken (cooked) you may add it frozen to the pot.
- Bring up to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Remove from pot once cooked and reserve in a bowl.
- Add cooked gnocchi and spinach to the soup after it has simmered for 20 minutes.
- Continue to simmer until spinach is wilted.
- Add basil and stir.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and breadsticks.
What is your favorite restaurant meal that you would love to create at home?