*This is a sponsored post by the maker of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda. I received compensation for this review but the opinions are 100% my own.
I’ve been making my own homemade laundry detergent recipe for years now and I love how much money it saves me, while still cleaning my family’s clothes so well! I’ll show you how you can make a batch for under $25 that will last you a year (depending on the size of your family)!
I love that making this laundry detergent only takes about 15 minutes to create a big batch that lasts our family of 6 about 6 months (doing daily laundry!). It’s quick and easy to make and it gets your clothes clean! Want to learn how to make it? I’ll show you!
Homemade Laundry Detergent Supplies
The ingredients you need to make your own homemade laundry detergent are basic and inexpensive. You will need ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda, laundry bar and stain remover (looks like a bar of soap), borax, ARM & HAMMER™ baking soda, and OxiClean™ (38 load size container). You can also get powdered fabric softener to add to it if you prefer a scent in your laundry soap.
Grab this coupon before you shop and save $.75 on ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda and other great products at your local store or retailer: Here
ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda Uses
Before I started making my own laundry detergent I had never heard of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda. You can find it in the laundry aisle in a box. Now that I have discovered it I can’t stop using it! It has so many different uses and it is all natural. If you aren’t familiar with it, I’ll share a few of my favorite uses.
- For tough stains, in a tub of water add 2 tablespoons of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda per gallon and pre-soak for at least 30 minutes. For best results pre-soak overnight, then add
- 1/2 cup of Super Washing Soda along with detergent and wash. Always follow machine
- instructions when adding laundry products, add clothes and let water fill completely.
- Super Washing Soda can be used with special cleaning plates such as QWICKSILVER®, SilverLion and Speedy Plate to remove tarnish from silver, silver plate, jewelry, gold, copper, bronze, stainless steel, and most brass. Follow manufacturer guidelines.
- Ovens, Range Tops, Broiler Pans, Sinks – Ease these messy jobs with a solution of 1/2
- cup Super Washing Soda Household Cleaner & Laundry Booster dissolved in a gallon of
- warm water. For burners, remove and soak in solution for at least 30 minutes to help
- banish greasy build-up. Always rinse well and dry. For stubborn, crusted soils, sprinkle
- Super Washing Soda dry on a damp sponge to scour quickly and easily. Do not use on
- aluminum and follow manufacturer guidelines.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe Directions
Let’s get started making the homemade laundry detergent recipe! Begin by grating the laundry bar in a food processor with the grating blade. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a cheese grater but a food processor makes this process much faster and gets it grated more finely.
After you have grated all three laundry bars, add a scoop of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover to the mix and return it to the food processor to grate it into a powder. The OxiClean™ will help it achieve a more fine powder as it adds a little grit to the mixture.
Pulse it until it reaches a fine consistency like the photo above. Then dump all of it into a very large bowl.
Now it’s just a matter of mixing in the remaining ingredients! Add your entire box of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda. Super Washing Soda adds extra cleaning and freshening power as a laundry detergent booster and will help get your clothes extra clean!
Then mix in the 38 load size container of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover. This will add a stain removing element to your homemade laundry detergent.
Then add 2 cups of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda to the bowl. Baking soda will give you whiter whites, help deorderize and brighter colors. The baking soda also softens the water, so you can actually use less detergent and it also helps deodorize your clothes. Finally, add the entire box of borax. Borax will improve the cleaning power of the detergent mixture, help remove tough stains, and deodorize and freshen.
Then, mix together all the ingredients in the bowl until they are thoroughly mixed. Store detergent in a glass jar with a scoop or measuring spoon to dispense it.
All the ingredients in this homemade laundry detergent recipe work together to deliver a powerful detergent that cleans clothes and leaves them smelling fresh and looking clean and bright!
This homemade laundry detergent recipe works great for HE laundry machines as well as traditional machines. I have used it in both types of washing machines and it works equally well in both.
Just add the powder to the drum of your washing machine. You’ll need 2 tablespoons per load. This recipe lasts a long time and for a small family or couple will likely last you a year. For larger families, you should get 6 months out of it!
Take 15 minutes and make your own laundry detergent and take the money you save and spend it on something more fun than laundry detergent! With the average family spending $150-$600 a year on laundry soap, think of the money you’ll be saving with this $25 a year detergent recipe!
Print the Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe:
Pin Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe: