This summer we have been doing a lot of camping in our new camper. The travel has messed with my digestive system and left me with some unpleasant symptoms. I knew there had to be a natural way to restore my digestive system to it’s natural state so I went in search of remedies. I found that probiotics hold amazing health benefits, even beyond your gut, and that turned out to be the answer to my problem! This easy probiotic drink recipe takes it one step further and provides a big bang for your buck in terms of health benefits!
Did you know that digestion is the center of your health? It has so much to do with your entire body and taking good care of your gut can translate into better health overall. I’ve found that adding probiotics and this easy probiotic drink recipe into my daily routine has made a HUGE impact in my health and how I feel.
Many studies have shown connections between numerous different diseases and the amount of good or bad bacteria in your gut. That means it is time to address our gut and get on the road to a healthier life!
If you follow me on social media then you’ll know I added a daily probiotic, Align, into my routine in hopes of treating my gut issues. Since doing so I have seen a big difference in my symptoms and have been happily returned to normal, even while traveling. In the course of searching for solutions I did a good amount of research and here is what I found. Try these tips to help restore your gut to a healthy state:
- Consume probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, or kefir. You can add this probiotic drink into your daily routine too! It tastes a lot better than sauerkraut! If these foods aren’t high on your list of likes then add a daily probiotic like Align into your routine. I buy mine in bulk at Sam’s Club to get the best price!
- Avoid carbohydrates, processed foods and sugar. These will feed the bad bacteria in your gut.
- Consume a large variety of fresh vegetables like sweet potato, yuca, leafy greens, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, leeks and onion. These all help feed the good bacteria.
- Look for antibiotic-free meats and poultry. Avoid consuming protein products that have been treated with antibiotics as these contribute to killing your good bacteria in your gut.
- Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Your gut needs good sleep to rest and repair in order to stay in optimal health.
- De-stress! Stress isn’t good for any body system and your gut is no exception. Manage your stress and find an activity that helps you unwind and relax.
For this easy probiotic drink recipe I use my favorite probiotic, Align, found at Sam’s Club. Align is gluten free which is an added bonus! Align is the only probiotic that contains B. infantis 35624, a unique patented probiotic strain that helps* fortify your digestive system with a unique healthy bacteria 24/7*†. It also promotes and supports a healthy digestive system while maintaining digestive balance. It is also the #1 gastroenterologist-recommended†† probiotic!
I take my Align daily and I’ve also added this easy probiotic drink recipe into my morning routine. It gives me a burst of energy to start the day and I’ve noticed my skin is clearer and my gut is back to normal! This drink maximizes the benefits of the probiotics and is much easier to make than kombucha which is quite popular right now but more difficult to make.
Print the recipe below! Be sure to share on Facebook and pin for later so you can easily find this recipe!
- 1 cup of sliced fruit any kind but berries work best!
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 Align probiotic capsules
- Filtered or Distilled Water
- Add 1 cup sliced fruit to a 1-quart mason jar and mash it with a spoon.
- Add in honey and the powder from the Align capsules. Stir to mix. The honey doesn't fully dissolve and that is ok! The probiotics will eat up most of the honey anyway.
- Fill the remaining jar space with filtered or distilled water and leave 1 inch of room at the top of the jar.
- Place the lid on the jar and leave your jar on the counter at room temperature for 2-3 days. (If your house is hot then 2 days is plenty)
- Shake the jar a little once or twice a day. If the lid starts to bulge and gets hard, open the jar and let the air escape and immediately replace the lid.
- After 2 days pour some into a cup and taste. If it tastes fruity and a little tangy then it's ready! Strain the fruit out and keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. If it doesn't taste done yet then leave on the counter an additional 1-2 days.
- Once it has completed fermenting then you can add in things to spice it up! If you like things a little sweeter then add some more honey. You can also add sparkling water, herbs (like mint!) or whatever suits you!
- If you've never taken probiotics before then start with 1/2 cup a day. Work up to one 8oz glass a day.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases.
**Based on recommended usage of 1 pill a day. Savings based on vendor calculations using proprietary methodology comparing avg. non-promoted $/unit from a combination of leading U.S. retailers vs. avg. $/unit at Sam’s Club 2 months ending 4/8/16.
†Fortifies your digestive system with good bacteria 24/7 with continued daily use.
††Among gastroenterologists who recommend a brand of probiotic in a Symphony Health Solutions 2014 survey.