- Old fashioned oats
- Dried fruit (blueberries, cranberries, raisins, etc)
- Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
- Sugar (white or brown)
- Powdered milk
- Flax seeds (optional)
To make each DIY Instant Oatmeal packet simply use a snack size zip top plastic bag. Add the following ingredients to the baggie to create the base of your mix:
- 1/2 Cup oats
- 1 spoonful of ground oats (I just put the oats in my food processor and grind it until it is a fine dust)
- 1 Tbsp of powdered milk
- 1 Tbsp of flax seeds (optional)
- 2 tsp of white or brown sugar
To this base mix you will then add your choice of mix ins from your dried fruit and nuts. Play around with spices like cinnamon or nutmeg too! I try to add a total of 3-4 Tbsp of mix in ingredients to each base mix.
- Blueberries & Cream – Add dried blueberries and walnuts or pecans to your base mix
- Cinnamon Raisin – Add raisins and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar to your base mix or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Fruit & Nut – Add dried cranberries and golden raisins along with chopped pecans to your base mix
- Cranberry Walnut – Add dried cranberries and chopped walnuts to your base mix. Optional: drizzle with maple syrup after you microwave it.
- Strawberry Almond – Add dried strawberries and slivered almonds to your base mix
If you aren’t familiar with probiotics, they can be a great addition to your morning routine. They provide good bacteria which support a healthy gut and immune system. The CVS Children’s Chewable Probiotic is grape flavored and it is much easier than mixing in a powder as other types require. I’ve tried chewable and powder and prefer the ease of the chewables. Find both of these products at CVS or CVS.com.
Print off the instructions below and start making your own homemade oatmeal packets!
- ½ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Tbsp ground oats (just put some old fashioned oats in the food processor and grind them up into a powder)
- 1 Tbsp Powdered Milk
- 1 Tbsp Flax Seeds (optional)
- 2 tsp white or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried fruit - raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc
- 2 Tbsp nuts - chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, chopped pecans, etc
- For each oatmeal packet combine "base mix" ingredients in a snack size zip top bag.
- Add your choice "mix ins" to the bag.
- Store in a dry place.
- When ready to eat simply pour the contents of the bag into a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 cup water and microwave 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through. For a thinner texture microwave for less time, for a thicker texture microwave longer.
- You can also add honey or maple syrup to the top of it after cooking!
If you enjoyed this post please share it on Facebook and pin it for easy finding later!