Whether your baby is just starting to explore finger foods or they’ve outgrown being fed rice cereal and baby food and have asserted their newfound independence, this baby pancake recipe is just perfect for them! It’s a great way to use up leftover baby rice cereal and baby food if your baby is beyond that stage now. It is also a great way to incorporate much needed food groups into a baby’s diet when they insist on self feeding.
Baby Finger Foods
Often when babies begin feeding themselves, and refusing to be fed by you, they lack all of the nutrients they need. This baby pancake recipe will allow them to still pick up pieces and feed themselves while still getting the necessary nutrients in their diet! It’s the perfect finger food for babies!
Baby Pancake Recipe
For this baby pancake recipe you’ll need Beech-Nut Oatmeal baby cereal, Beech-Nut Rice baby cereal and various Beech-Nut baby foods depending on your baby’s favorite flavors. You can use whatever flavors you want in this recipe!
This new initiative on Beech-Nut’s behalf is particularly important after recent revelations that other popular baby food companies were touting the inclusion of superfood ingredients like quinoa and kale, but were including them in sparse amounts and using cheap apple puree as the main ingredient. Now you can see how much of those ingredients are actually included in any of Beech-Nut’s baby food so you know what you are buying.
To make this baby pancake recipe you will mix together white or wheat flour, rice cereal, oatmeal baby cereal, formula/breastmilk/milk, 1 jar of your favorite Beech-Nut baby food, unsalted butter, egg yolks and juice until it reaches a pancake batter consistency. If it comes out too thick you can thin it with milk.
Then cook them on a griddle. I make them in mini sizes so they are easy for my son to pick up. They are awesome toddler finger food or baby finger food. *Try testing one pancake on your griddle first so you can make sure you have the right temperature and consistency for your batter.
Then serve the baby pancakes along with Beech-Nut baby food as the topping. Skip the sugary maple syrup (and sticky mess!) and let baby dip their pancakes in the purees instead. It’s yummy and it helps them get their daily fruit servings! Some of our favorites include the apple & pumpkin, just pear & black cherry and I used the just apple & strawberry in the batter. To compliment that I used an apple raspberry juice so the pancakes had a slight berry flavor. You can also use apple juice for a more neutral flavor or omit the juice and just use milk.
Grab the Baby Pancake Recipe below!
- 1 1/2 C white flour or 1 1/2 C wheat flour
- 1/2 C Beech-Nut Rice Cereal
- 1/2 C Beech-Nut Oatmeal Cereal
- 1 C Formula Breastmilk or cow's milk (only if baby is over 12 mos old)
- 1 Jar 4.25 oz Beech-Nut baby food (any variety)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3 egg yolks or substitute egg with mashed banana, applesauce, pumpkin, or other pureed fruit/baby food
- 1/2 C juice apple or any 100% juice flavor to compliment your baby food flavor, optional - may substitute milk
- Additional milk to thin the batter as needed
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- Add additional milk, formula or breastmilk to thin the batter as needed until you reach pancake batter consistency.
- Pour in mini pancake sizes onto hot griddle and cook until golden on each side. *Test one pancake first to ensure the griddle is the right temperature.
- Serve with Beech-Nut baby food puree in your baby's favorite fruit flavor.
- This recipe also freezes well! Freeze on a baking sheet in a single layer until froze solid. Once frozen solid transfer to a large zip top bag. Remove and heat in a toaster oven.
Print it off now or share this post on Facebook and Pinterest for easy finding later!
Supplies we used for this baby pancake recipe:
BLACK+DECKER GD2011B Family Sized Electric Griddle, 20 x 11-Inch, BlackBeech-Nut Stage 1 Single Grain Rice Baby Cereal, 8 oz, 8 count3-Pack Beech-Nut Baby Cereal: Rice, Oatmeal, and Multigrain, 8 Oz. Boxes [1 of Each]Beech-Nut Stage 1 Single Grain Rice Baby Cereal 8 oz (Pack of 8)Beech-Nut Stage 2 Baby Food, Just Pear/Blueberry, 4.0 Ounce (Pack of 10)