These are the BEST Halloween books for kids! Keep this Halloween book list and read these during the whole month of October! Grab a few and read to your kids because reading to your children has immense benefits!
Halloween Books For Kids
Grab some fun Halloween books off this list and line up the reading for October! Your children will benefit from being read to and their vocabulary will soar.
- Little Blue Truck’s Halloween – Beep! Beep! It’s Halloween! Little Blue Truck is picking up his animal friends for a costume party. Lift the flaps in this large, sturdy board book to find out who’s dressed up in each costume! Will Blue wear a costume too?
- Pete the Cat: Trick or Pete – Pete loves Halloween and candy but not so much scary surprises. Follow Pete as he goes trick-or-treating from house to house and discover what is waiting behind each door.
- The Roll-Away Pumpkin – On a windy autumn day, Marla Little comes running down the hill, yelling, “Help! My giant pumpkin is rolling away! Onward it goes, rolling and turning, with no sign of stopping!
- Halloween Hustle – In the dark, a funky beat. Something white with bony feet. Skeleton dancing up the street, Doing the Halloween Hustle. Skeleton is dancing his way to a Halloween party—but as he grooves across town, he keeps stumbling, tumbling, and falling apart! Can Skeleton stay in one piece long enough to make it to the party?
- The Spooky Wheels on the Bus – THE SPOOKY WHEELS ON THE BUS is a humorous Halloween-themed version of the classic song THE WHEELS ON THE BUS…with a few ghoulish tricks and treats up its sleeves!
- Too Many Pumpkins – Rebecca Estelle has hated pumpkins ever since she was a girl when pumpkins were often the only food her family had. When an enormous pumpkin falls off a truck and smashes in her yard, she shovels dirt over the pieces and forgets about them. But those slimy pumpkin smithereens sprout up in autumn, and Rebecca Estelle finds a sea of pumpkins in her garden.
- The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat – It’s Halloween and Brother and Sister can’t wait to go trick-or-treating with all of their friends, but when someone in the group encourages the kids to play a trick, things don’t go as planned. Includes over 50 bonus stickers!
- How to Catch a Monster – Get ready to laugh as a young ninja heads into the closet to meet the monster that’s been so scary night after night! But what if things aren’t what they seem and our monster isn’t scary at all? What if our ninja hero is about to make a friend of strangest sort?
- Bonaparte Falls Apart – Bonaparte is having a tough time. It’s hard for this young skeleton to just hang loose when he can’t keep hold of himself. When he plays catch, his throwing arm literally takes a flyer. Eating lunch can be a real jaw-dropping occasion. How can he start school when he has so many screws loose?
- Pumpkin Soup: A Picture Book – Deep in the woods in an old white cabin, three friends make their pumpkin soup the same way every day. The Cat slices up the pumpkin, the Squirrel stirs in the water, and the Duck tips in just enough salt. But one day the Duck wants to stir instead, and then there is a horrible squabble, and he leaves the cabin in a huff. It isn’t long before the Cat and the Squirrel start to worry about him and begin a search for their friend.
- Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody – Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon. It’s bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all costs to run amok and not let any monster have his rest.
- The Night Before Halloween – Twas the night before Halloween, and all through the house, All the creatures were stirring, except for the mouse. The monsters had gathered to plan and prepare, For the trick-or-treaters who soon would be there?
- Clifford’s Halloween – Out of all the holidays, Emily Elizabeth and Clifford like Halloween the most. They play games, trick-or-treat in the neighborhood, and tell ghost stories. Best of all, they can wear costumes! Clown, witch, knight, or ghost–what will Clifford decide to dress up as this year?
- Little Critter: Happy Halloween, Little Critter! – Little Critter and Little Sister dress in fun costumes, bob for apples, play pin the broom on the witch, and much more. There are plenty of surprises to be had, even if some of them are just a little spooky!
- The Vanishing Pumpkin – When a 700-year-old woman and an 800-year-old man want to make pumpkin pie on Halloween, they can’t find their pumpkin. “Our pumpkin’s been snitched,” cries the woman. And off they go to find it.
This Halloween celebrate by reading these fun Halloween books to your kids! There is something for everyone on this list from toddlers to elementary age kids. Read them to your kids or have them practice reading them to you!
Other Fun Halloween Activities For Kids
Halloween is so much fun and my kids are excited all month long. We love to do other fun Halloween things in addition to reading Halloween books. Try making these Halloween ghost brownies with your kids or these Halloween pudding cups. Kids can help make both of these recipes!