There is my little Danika in her going home outfit 19 months ago. My how time flies by and babies grow up! I can’t believe she is 19 months old and we are having baby #2 next month already! It boggles my mind. She seems older and more mature every day. Soon she will be a big sister!
I am now 35 weeks pregnant and doing great. I had my OB appointment this week and after much debate and discussions with my doctor we have decided it is best for me to have a c-section. I really have been debating this for my entire pregnancy and have finally come to terms with the fact that it is the best route for both me and baby.
My first delivery was a difficult one. I labored for a very long time and once they ruptured my bag of water I quickly dilated to complete. I then pushed for 3 1/2 hours. They wanted to do a c-section because they didn’t think Danika would fit. Being the stubborn OB nurse that I was I insisted they at least try to use the vacuum to get her out. In my mind I hadn’t pushed for 3 1/2 hours and been in labor for that long just to have a c-section.
Well, my stubbornness got me the vaginal delivery I was hoping for although I didn’t know how hard my recovery ahead would be. I had been insistent that I didn’t want a c-section because I knew that a vaginal delivery had a much shorter recovery time. In my case I would have been better with a c-section. I ended up tearing very badly. They sewed me up for over 45 minutes.
A week later my stitches ripped open and I had to be re-stitched up again. Ouch!!! I can’t even tell you how bad that was! Then after six weeks I had to have surgery to fix it because it didn’t heal correctly and I had granulation tissue (basically the tissue should be inside and covered with skin, but is exposed). I wasn’t able to sit for months and had to take a pillow to sit on everywhere I went. I was stuck in bed and my hubby had to bring me everything I needed for a really long time. It was months and months of recovering and I am still not completely normal.
With all of this in mind I had to decide if I wanted to attempt another vaginal delivery or have a c-section. For the majority of my pregnancy I thought I would try a vaginal delivery if my baby was smaller than Danika was. Recently I have realized that even if he was able to fit I would probably have a similar outcome to the first delivery. With a toddler to take care of as well as a newborn this just isn’t an option this time around. Although a c-section recovery is longer than a typical vaginal delivery recovery, in my case I think it will be shorter.
I wish I was able to have another vaginal delivery, but the unknown of the potential outcome is too big of a gamble for me. So after debating for basically 9 months I went ahead and scheduled my c-section. I’m still not very excited about it, but I think it is what is best.
The baby is healthy and that is the most important thing! I can’t wait to meet him. It seems so odd that we will have a baby in the house in just one month (or less!). I guess the point of my sharing my story with you is to encourage you to be flexible with your birth plan and to go with the flow. Everything will not go as planned and there will definitely be some unexpected events. As long as baby is healthy in the end that is all that matters. It doesn’t matter how you deliver, you are that baby’s mama and there is nothing to feel bad about!
Do you have a birth story or advice to share with all of us pregnant mamas? Please leave a comment-we would love to hear!