My 9 year old daughter has been very interested in cooking and preparing meals. I LOVE that she wants to learn to cook! This easy baked chicken taquito recipe with Santa Fe rice was the perfect difficulty level for her to be able to tackle and serve our family dinner. Give it a try because the end result is a crispy baked outer tortilla with flavorful chicken inside! It’s a family favorite here!
These chicken taquitos are baked to a crisp and packed with juicy, flavor-packed chicken and cheese. The best part? They are SO EASY to make! I helped my daughter make them and I know she’ll be able to tackle them on her own (with adult supervision) next time! She can’t wait to make them again. Did you know research shows that children who cook and eat with their families tend to consume healthier foods, have healthier eating habits as adults, and have higher academic achievement? It’s true! Get in the kitchen and you’ll not only make memories with your kids, but you’ll also be teaching them an essential life skill.
The easiest way to obtain cooked, shredded chicken is to buy a grocery store rotisserie chicken and have your child pull the meat off the bones. You can certainly cook your own as well, but I love this hack!
Next, mix together cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and black pepper to create the chicken seasoning.
You’ll also need corn tortillas, shredded cheese, and Uncle Ben’s Santa Fe flavor Ready Rice. The Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice is super convenient because you can just microwave it in the pouch so there is no stove top cooking required for this recipe! Don’t forget the taquito toppings too! We love topping them with lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole, plain greek yogurt, and salsa.
Next, sprinkle the spice mixture over the shredded chicken and mix together to season the chicken.
Once you’ve completed that you can begin assembling the taquitos. If your corn tortillas are stiff simply microwave them, between two damp paper towels, for 30 seconds to soften them. Then top them with 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mixture and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on top. Then roll them up tightly and place them, seam side down, on a greased pan.
Once you are done assembling the taquitos, brush the tops with olive oil and bake at 425 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes or until crisp.
When your taquitos have 2 minutes of bake time left you can make the Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. We chose the Santa Fe flavor to go with our taquitos, but my kids also love the butter and garlic flavor. Simply tear the top of the pouch open a couple of inches to vent it. Place in the microwave and heat for 90 seconds.
Then carefully remove from microwave, holding onto the cool touch areas on each side.
Dump Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice onto a serving platter.
Then top with lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole and whatever else you desire!
Inspiring families to spend more time together in the kitchen, the UNCLE BEN’S® BEN’S BEGINNERS™ Cooking Contest, now in its sixth year, is part of a movement driven by the Uncle Ben’s Brand to help kids learn the essential life skill of cooking as well as they learn how to read and write.
parents with kids in Kindergarten through eighth grade can submit a photo of their family preparing a rice-based dish together using #BensBeginners. Participants in the BEN’S BEGINNERS™ Cooking Contest will enter for the chance to win one of five Grand Prize packages, which includes $15,000 cash, a $30,000 cafeteria makeover for their child’s school and a hometown celebration. Submissions will be accepted on unclebens.com until 11:59p.m. ET on October 9, 2017.
Print the Baked Chicken Taquito Recipe:
Kids Cooking Chicken Taquito Recipe with Santa Fe Rice!
- 1 grocery store rotisserie chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 package corn tortillas 24 count
- olive oil
- Uncle Ben's Santa Fe rice
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce pico de gallo, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking sheet or use a siplat mat on it. Set aside.
- Pull the chicken off the bones and shred it. Put chicken into a bowl.
- Mix together cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and black pepper. Sprinkle over shredded chicken and mix together to season chicken.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken on top of a corn tortilla and top with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. If corn tortillas are breaking or stiff, simply wrap the stack of tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave them for 30 seconds.
- Roll tightly and place seam side down on your baking sheet. Brush the tops of each taquito with olive oil. Bake 20 minutes or until crisp.
- Top with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, plain greek yogurt or whatever you desire. Serve over Uncle Ben's Santa Fe rice.
Pin the Super Easy Chicken Taquito Recipe:
Pin the Kids Cooking Recipe Image: