Juicy, Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento® Cheese. All opinions are 100% mine.
I married an Italian and that means that Italian food is a regular staple in our home. I have mastered the homemade, authentic Italian “sugo” which I learned to make from my husband’s nonno (grandpa). One thing we don’t eat often is chicken parmesan and I just love a good chicken parmesan dish, whether it be over pasta or in a sandwich! I have mastered the BEST crispy chicken parmesan recipe that comes out nice and juicy. Eat it over noodles or put it on a bun! Either way it’s amazing.
My favorite part about this chicken parmesan recipe is the crisp coating on the juicy chicken. It comes out just perfect. Top it with some melty, natural Sargento cheese and you’ve got the perfect pairing!
One trick to getting the chicken to stay moist and juicy is to tenderize your chicken first. My chicken breasts were very large so I cut them in half first. Then place the chicken between plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to pound them out until they are about 1/4″ thick. Season each side of the chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
In a shallow dish or pie plate mix together flour and Italian seasoning. In a separate shallow dish whisk together eggs. In a third shallow plate, combine bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs and Sargento grated parmesan cheese.
Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, covering both sides of the chicken.
Next, dip the chicken in your eggs and coat both sides.
Then, dip into bread crumb and panko mixture and coat both sides. Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add chicken to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Then transfer the chicken to a baking dish and bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.
After baking for 5 minutes you’ll need to remove the chicken from the oven and top it with cheese. I need to take a little side-note here to beg you for the love of real cheese, please use real cheese to top that beautiful chicken! See the photo above? You might be surprised to learn that pasteurized process cheese foods, sometimes known as American singles, is only required to contain a minimum of 51% real cheese. What’s in the other 49%??????
The cheese is ground and may be mixed with artificial coloring, flavoring, dairy ingredients, water, salt and mold inhibitors. It can contain up to 15 ingredients that aren’t cheese! Got the idea? I never knew that the cheese above isn’t really REAL cheese. Please don’t ruin this amazing recipe by using processed cheese. Okay, back to the best ever chicken parmesan recipe…
If you love cheese as much as I do then please use real Sargento cheese! Sargento® Sliced Cheese is 100% real cheese sliced right off the block. For this recipe you can use either the Sargento Provolone-Mozzarella blend slices or the Sargento Mozzarella slices, whichever suits your preference. Or use both!
After your chicken has cooked for 5 minutes, remove it from the oven and turn each piece over.
Fold each slice of cheese in half and place on top of each piece of chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Meanwhile, while your chicken is cooking, boil your fettuccine noodles and warm your spaghetti sauce on the stove. To serve, place a bed of noodles topped with spaghetti sauce.
Place chicken on top and top with additional spaghetti sauce and fresh parsley.
While I love eating this over pasta, it could easily be converted into a sandwich too! Follow the same steps and then place the chicken on a toasted bun and smother it with spaghetti sauce and fresh parsley. It’s a great way to mix up my favorite recipe!
This chicken comes out so moist and juicy! It is incredibly tender and the crispy coating on it just makes the dish.
Print off the crispy chicken parmesan recipe below and we love when you pin the recipe for later and share this post on Facebook!
Be sure to follow Sargento on Instagram & Facebook for more recipe inspiration!
Juicy, Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- garlic powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce I used an organic tomato basil variety
- 6 slices Sargento mozzarella cheese or Sargento provolone-mozzarella blend cheese
- fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- If you are using large chicken breasts I recommend cutting each breast in half the short way. Then tenderize each piece of chicken by placing it between plastic wrap and using a meat mallet to pound it to 1/4" thickness.
- Season both sides of your chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder to your taste.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
- In a 2nd pie plate beat 2 eggs lightly.
- In a 3rd pie plate combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs and 2 Tbsp Sargento shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Coat the chicken on both sides by dipping it in the flour mixture, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Flip each piece over and add one slice of Sargento Mozzarella cheese to each piece of chicken. Fold the slice of cheese in half so it fits better.
- Return the chicken to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, heat your spaghetti sauce on the stove or in the microwave.
- Serve chicken over a bed of noodles or on a hamburger bun as a sandwich. Top with spaghetti sauce and fresh parsley.
This looks like a delicious recipe! The only thing I’d change?? MORE CHEESE. lol I love Sargento cheese 🙂
True, you can never have too much cheese.
Goodness- this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.
I love Italian food! Chicken parm is one of my favorites.
We are very picky about our cheese. Real cheese is the only way to go!
I agree. Real cheese is a must.
Chicken parmesan is one of my favorite recipes and I won’t like- I love Sargento cheese. Their sharp cheddar is my favorite!
I love Chicken parm! I need this on my meal plan!!
oh my goodness! This one is really tempting and mouth watering. I’m going to make this one.
This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!
Your recipe is easy to make and looks so delicious! i want to make your Chicken Parmesan recipe! Thanks for sharing,
wow this receipe looks amazing i would love to try this out sometime while i am not to busy look easy enough to follow
This looks so great! I’d love to have this for dinner soon! And, I love how large your images are! How do you do that on Blogger? I wish I knew how to do that!
Thank you. You can do it, you will need to figure out how large your content area is in pixels and then set your images for that width. You may be able to Google if you can increase content width in Blogger to find a way to customize it make it larger.
This looks so yummy and easy! I love chicken parm but I don’t typically make it. I pinned it and plan to give it a try!
OH my , this looks so good! Definitely pinning for later!
This food looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I will be making this, as I have been looking for something different for supper.
I love Chicken parmesan and this recipe sounds absolutely delicious. Definitely pinning for later.
I love Chicken Parmesan. This recipe looks super yummy and easy to make.
I love chicken parmesan! I’ve yet to try it at home but your recipe looks easy enough to try!