Did you know today is national pasta day? As the wife of an Italian husband with a huge Italian family I know a little bit about pasta. My in laws even own their own Italian supper club! They make the most amazing Italian dishes. I always look forward to the holidays because I know they will all include pasta! In celebration of national pasta day I thought it was only fitting to share a pasta recipe with you. You don’t have to come from Italian heritage to make a great pasta dish and you don’t even have to spend the whole day making your own sauce! I used Classico’s new creamy spinach and parmesan sauce to make this delicious dish!
Creamy Spinach and Parmesan Stuffed Shells
- 1 Jar 24 oz Classico Creamy Spinach and Parmesan Sauce
- 18 Jumbo Shell Pasta I cooked a whole box to be sure I had enough whole pieces
- 1/2 pound Sweet or Hot Italian Style Bulk Sausage
- 2/3 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Garlic Glove minced
- 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided into 1 cup portions
- 15 oz ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skilled over medium high heat brown sausage, onions and garlic until cooked through.
- Add pasta sauce and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon half of sauce mixture evenly into bottom of 13×9 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1 Cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta/cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Stuff each shell with 2 Tbsp of cheese mixture.
- Arrange stuffed shells in baking dish and spoon remaining sauce evenly on top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese & parsley on top.
- Bake for additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
*Samples provided for review purposes only. No compensation was received. My opinions are my own.