Cook With Your Memorial Day Leftovers! Stuffed Empanadas Recipe
After Memorial Day weekend you are sure to have leftovers! Instead of tossing out leftover hamburgers from the Memorial Day cookout, repurpose them into delicious empanadas with this simple recipe from Holland House Cooking Wine. I love taking leftovers and making them in to a new dish. This one doesn’t disappoint!
Stuffed Empanadas with Braised Burgundy Beef Picadillo and Queso Chihuahua
Great way to use up leftover hamburger!
- 1/2 lb. ground beef OR leftover hamburger patties crumbled
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers small diced
- 1/2 cup white onions small diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes small diced
- 1/4 cup green olives minced
- 1/4 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Holland House Red Cooking Wine
- 1/2 cup chihuahua cheese shredded
- 1 – 13.8 oz. can canned pizza crust
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Drain fat and reserve. NOTE: If using cooked hamburgers, crumble patties into a mixing bowl and add to the skillet after sautéing onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, olives and spices.
- In the same skillet, add red bell peppers and white onion and sauté until light golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sweet potatoes, olives and spices and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add beef, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the Holland House Smokey Burgundy Cooking Wine and simmer for another 2 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Cool mixture in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out canned pizza crust to a 1/4” thick rectangle.
- Cut 8 squares out of pizza crust and fill each crust with 2 tablespoons of filling and 1 tablespoon of Chihuahua cheese.
- Fold over and crimp edges with a fork.
- In a small bowl combine egg and water and mix thoroughly.
- Brush with egg wash and bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 14-16 minutes or until empanadas are golden brown.
- Serve with salsa or a Chimichurri Dipping Sauce
Find a great recipe for the homemade Chimichurri Dipping Sauce on the Holland House website!
Like this recipe? Pin It, Share It, Tweet It 🙂
That’s a great idea! I’m going to try these
These sound delicious! I know what I’m doing with my leftover burgers!!
Great idea to put leftover hamburger in this recipe. I would have to spice it up a bit though, love mine with a kick. Looks so easy to make. Gonna try this.
Great idea for my leftovers
Making these tonight with our leftover burgers from yesterday! Thank you!
I have never made empanadas before, but after seeing this recipe post I think I’ll be making them from our cookout leftovers. I love that I can spice up leftovers and get a totally different dish from the leftovers1 Thanks for sharing!