In an effort to raise awareness for SIDS the CJ Foundation has 10 Steps To Take Before Baby Takes His Or Her First:
1. Always lay your baby to sleep face up. Side and tummy positions are not safe; check with your doctor if your baby has breathing problems.
2. Don’t smoke while pregnant and never smoke near your infant. While pregnant or considering pregnancy do not smoke. Never let others smoke near your baby. Smoking is a major risk factor for SIDS.
3. Don’t let your baby get too hot. Overheating is a leading risk factor for SIDS. Dress your baby in as much or as little as you would wear. If your baby is sweating, has damp hair, or a heat rash, he or she may be too hot. Room fans have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. Consider using a wearable blanket or other type of sleeper instead of using a blanket.
4. Lay your baby to sleep in an approved crib, on a firm mattress. Do not let the baby sleep on soft things, like a couch, pillow, sheepskin, foam pad, or waterbed. Remove all loose bedding, stuffed animals,and pillows from crib. Crib bumpers are not recommended and can be hazardous.
5. Create a healthy lifestyle for you and your baby. When pregnant, see your doctor often and do not use drugs or alcohol. Talk with your doctor about changes in your baby and how your baby acts.
6. If possible, breastfeed your baby. Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
7. Offer your baby a pacifier at all sleep times. Pacifiers have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
8. Put your baby on his or her tummy to play when your baby is awake and supervised. Make sure someone is always watching. “Tummy Time” is good for your baby because it makes neck and shoulder muscles stronger.
9. Don’t share sleep surfaces. Adult beds, couches, and chairs are not safe for infant sleep and increase the risk of SIDS, suffocation and accidental infant death. After feeding, put your baby back in his or her crib.
10. Share these tips with everyone who cares for your baby. Education is the key to keeping your baby safe.
Win! aden + anais would like to give one lucky reader their own Sleeping Bag!
This Giveaway has ended. Congrats to the winner: