With school back in session and Fall upon us there is one thing I dread. Cold and flu season. It comes every year and there is nothing we can do about it right? Well, not completely. Sure we can’t stop the cold and flu season from coming every year but we can protect our kids and our entire family from the bugs. Here are some tips to stay healthy this cold and flu season:
- Wash your hands! This is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way to stop the spread of germs. Not only do you need to wash your hands but you need to teach your kids to wash their hands. If they are too young then you need to wash them for them. It’s easy to forget the littlest members of our family since they can’t do it themselves but they are often the culprits that get us sick. Remember if one member of your family brings home a cold or flu then they share it with the whole family.
- If you can’t wash your hands then use hand sanitizer! I always keep it in my purse. After the kids and I leave school every week I give them each a dollop to spread on their hands and I do mine too. When we get home we wash our hands too. Stop it before it gains entry into your home.
- Eat healthy. Help your body to be at it’s best defense against cold and flu viruses by arming it with healthy foods. If it is at optimal performance it can better defend you against the nasty colds and viruses you come in contact with.
- Get enough sleep. Yes, I am a mom of a newborn and two toddlers and I’m telling you to get some sleep 🙂 Make a point to go to bed early and get enough of those precious zzz’s! Don’t compromise your immune system just to watch one more TV show at night. I’m plenty guilty of that!
- Get your flu shot. I got a flu shot every year for a long time. Last year was the first year that I hadn’t got one. I was pregnant with Carson and just hadn’t had time to get it and planned on getting one at my next OB appointment. Unfortunately I shouldn’t have waited because I came down with the bonafide real deal influenza. It was awful and I’m thankful that Carson was fine and so was I. So get your flu shot!
- Take vitamins! I know as moms we don’t always eat as healthy as we want to. Supplement with vitamins to fill in those missing gaps in your diet.
There you go! Six easy ways to protect your family from the cold and flu season that’s upon us. What is your favorite tip for keeping your family healthy?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Lysol blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here